From Eating Well Magazine July/August 2010
adapted from Taste of Home, Alberta McKay, Bartlesville , OK
- 1 medium lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds small zucchini, cut into lengthwise slices about 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted (see Tip below)
- 1/3 cup thinly shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (see Tips)
1. Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove the peel from lemon with a vegetable peeler, making sure not to include any white pith. (Reserve the lemon.)
2. Cut the peel into thin slivers. Add to the boiling water and cook until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
3. Squeeze the juice from the lemon into a small bowl. Add oil, pepper and salt and whisk to combine. Set aside.
4. Preheat grill to medium-high or place a grill pan over medium-high heat until hot. Oil the grill rack (see Tips) or the grill pan. Grill zucchini slices, turning once, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
5. Arrange the zucchini on a platter and drizzle with the reserved lemon dressing. Serve sprinkled with almonds, cheese and the lemon peel.
Prepare through Step 4, cover and refrigerate the zucchini, lemon peel and dressing for up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature before serving cold.
To toast sliced or chopped nuts, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Use a vegetable peeler to shave thin curls or slivers off a block of hard cheese like Parmigiano-Reggiano.
To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)